Tax season is right around the corner, which means that right now is the time to be doing two things to ensure you have a great tax season:
1. Get in touch with all your past clients to schedule their appointments for 2012.
2. Advertise to get new clients in.
Simple postcards or letters to your past clients should be going out now to remind them to schedule an appointment to get their 2011 tax return prepared.
For getting new clients, here are some suggestions for where to advertise:
1. Your local MoneyMailer or ValPak, which is a thick envelope of coupons delivered to houses in most cities.
2. Local special interest newspapers with an offer targeting that interest group. Examples from my local area include weekly Spanish language and senior citizen newspapers, a monthly outdoor/sports enthusiast magazine, a weekly business newspaper, and a weekly printed newsletter targeted to farmers and ranchers.
3. Send direct mail offers, either postcards or letters, to the residential postal delivery areas closest to your location.
4. Put up flyers with detachable coupons or phone number at supermarkets, flea markets, parks, malls, and anywhere else with free public flyer boards (I’ve seen entire tax practices built from this simplest of all marketing methods).
5. Put up small signs along roads and major intersections. Check with your local authorities to determine if this is legal and if you need a permit.
6. Deliver flyers or door hangars door-to-door in your target residential neighborhoods. Again, check local laws and permit requirements for this.
Any ones of the above 6 methods can fill up and entire tax season for a solo practitioner or small tax office. Used in combination, the results can be simply astonishing. On top of that, most of these methods are not all that expensive, and some are even free.
If you haven’t already, you can get copies of proven tax season ads, flyers, and mailers by purchasing them directly from our web site with our Tax Return Preparation Marketing System